Monday, February 1, 2010

The True Purpose Of Computers

When I was a kid, I believed that computers were the ultimate toy, and played games on them every chance I could get. My siblings love to chat and use Facebook. As I try to steer my 13-year-old brother away from long-distance relationships, and keep myself from spending too many hours in the land of make-believe, I sometimes remember what some of my religion teachers said: Computers were invented under Divine inspiration to move the Lord's work forward. Particularly, we're to take advantage of the world-shrinking, information processing power of computers and the internet in order to link our families together. This doesn't mean that Latter-day Saints must restrict their computer use solely to genealogical work; neither does it mean that computers should never be used for entertainment. But when the inbox and beating the proverbial "final boss" become more important than family, beware; such distraction delights the prince of the power of the air. That's another name for the devil, and all he has to do to win is to keep us from doing good-to distract us.

No comments:

Post a Comment